It’s alive!

Apologies for the lack of any updates at all, but the last couple of months were quite hectic. I have changed my workplace, but – first and foremost – I have been busy bringing all the different pieces of my pet project jigsaw puzzle altogether.

There were quite a few things on my TO-DO list that were quite tedious to do, hence I had been putting them off for way too long. Things like scene data compressor & decompressor, multiple scene loaders, significant clean-up of various dark corners of the engine – these have finally been dealt with and I am kind of proud to let the collective mind of the Internet know, that my Emerald project has finally reached an important milestone. Things like:

  • asynchronous mesh, scene, texture data loaders.
  • lighting shaders for the forward rendering-based scene renderer, generated in run-time, basing on the scene configuration and the per-mesh material settings.
  • shadow mapping support for three basic types of lights, with bias/filtering/technique properties adjustable in real-time

These are all finally there. Admittedly, the previous engine I wrote for Suxx and the other two demos provided support for significantly more features, but this is a good starting point, with the engine playing more of a tool-set role and not enforcing as many restrictions as in the past. However, what perhaps is the most important, is the fact that I finally have (nearly 😉 ) all the tools I needed to start working on some new stuff. Things will be happening in the ucpoming months!

Okay, so without further ado, here is a link to a build that will let you run a test application that plays four scenes from Suxx in a loop. The player will cycle through available cameras, if more than one camera is defined for a particular scene. You can download the build here: *click click*

It may not look like it but I actually do frustum culling at shadow map generation pass. However, you can’t walk on water if some of the meshes span across the whole scene 🙂 )

This build has been verified to work flawlessly on NVIDIA drivers (assuming you have a Fermi-generation GPU or newer). It *should* work on anything else that supports OpenGL 4.2 core profile contexts (which – to the best of my knowledge – include both AMD and Intel drivers), but if it doesn’t, I would be more than grateful if you could send me a log file, together with a short description of what happened.

If curious, you can find all the source code at my GitHub profile (https://github.com/kbiElude/Emerald).

*psst*: Yeah, there is a memory leak somewhere which drops a few kilos of commited memory every second. My educated guess would be on the matrices that are probably not being released back to the matrix pool at some point, but that’s something that I am planning to eventually look at, when we get closer to an actual release date of the next Elude’s PC demo 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *